- •Males had significantly greater ramus thickness than females.
- •Ramus thickness decreased significantly from the occlusal plane (OP) to 10 mm above OP.
- •Ramus depth increased from OP to 10 mm above OP.
- •Hyperdivergent facial type showed reduced ramus depth.
- •Five mm above OP was considered the optimal insertion site for miniscrews.
Purchase one-time access:PDF Download and 24 Hours Online Access
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Impaction and retention of second molars: diagnosis, treatment and outcome. A retrospective follow-up study.Angle Orthod. 2009; 79: 422-427
- Technique to manage simultaneously impacted mandibular second and third molars in adolescent patients.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 103: 464-466
- Uprighting partially impacted permanent second molars.Angle Orthod. 2007; 77: 148-154
- Risk factors for root resorption of second molars associated with impacted mandibular third molars.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 48: 801-809
- Impacted and ankylosed teeth: why, when, and how to intervene.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006; 129: S86-S90
- Uprighting of a deeply impacted mandibular second molar.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1989; 96: 168-171
- The uprighting of tilted molar teeth and the intrusion of over-erupted posterior teeth.Aust Orthod J. 1986; 9: 329-334
- Molar uprighting with T-loop springs.J Am Dent Assoc. 1980; 100: 863-866
- Uprighting molars without extrusion.J Am Dent Assoc. 1999; 130: 381-385
- Impacted mandibular second molars.Angle Orthod. 2012; 82: 670-675
- Rigid implant anchorage to close a mandibular first molar extraction site.J Clin Orthod. 1994; 28: 693-704
- A prospective study of the risk factors associated with failure of mini-implants used for orthodontic anchorage.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004; 19: 100-106
- Factors associated with the stability of titanium screws placed in the posterior region for orthodontic anchorage.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003; 124: 373-378
- Primary failure rate for 1680 extra-alveolar mandibular buccal shelf mini-screws placed in movable mucosa or attached gingiva.Angle Orthod. 2015; 85: 905-910
- Ramus screws: the ultimate solution for lower impacted molars.Semin Orthod. 2018; 24: 135-154
- Gender and growth variation in palatal bone thickness and density for mini-implant placement.Prog Orthod. 2018; 19: 43
- Effect of positional errors on the accuracy of cervical vertebrae maturation assessment using CBCT and lateral cephalograms.J World Fed Orthod. 2020; 9: 146-154
- Identification of the mandibular vital structures: practical clinical applications of anatomy and radiological examination methods.J Oral Maxillofac Res. 2010; 1: e1
- Anatomy of mandibular vital structures. Part I: mandibular canal and inferior alveolar neurovascular bundle in relation with dental implantology.J Oral Maxillofac Res. 2010; 1: e2
- Injury to the inferior alveolar nerve during implant placement: a formula for protection of the patient and clinician.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004; 19: 731-734
- The mandibular plane: a stable reference to localize the mandibular foramen, even during growth.Oral Radiol. 2020; 36: 69-79
- Correlation of mandibular foramen to occlusal plane as a clinical guide for inferior alveolar nerve block in children: a digital panoramic radiographic study.Contemp Clin Dent. 2018; 9: 372-375
- Cone beam computed tomography in dentistry: what dental educators and learners should know.J Dent Educ. 2012; 76: 1437-1442
- On the improvement of CBCT image quality for soft tissue-based SRS localization.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2018; 19: 177-184
- Complications reported with the use of orthodontic miniscrews: a systematic review.Korean J Orthod. 2021; 51: 199-216
- Morphological variation in great ape and modern human mandibles.J Anat. 1999; 195: 491-513
- Mandibular ramus: an indicator for sex in fragmentary mandible.J Forensic Sci. 2011; 56: S13-S16
- Aging and strength of bone as a structural material.Calcif Tissue Int. 1993; 53 (discussion S39-40): S34-S39
- Alveolar bone loss in osteoporosis: a loaded and cellular affair?.Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2016; 8: 95-103
- Contemporary Orthodontics.Mosby Elsevier, St Louis2007
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest, and none were reported.