- •Larger miniscrews tend to be placed near roots.
- •Maximum insertion torque and Periotest values are associated with root proximity.
- •Drilling may result in more stability with a lower Periotest value than self-drilling.
- •Periotest could be used as a useful tool to predict the stability of miniscrews.
- •There may be a different normal range in Periotest according to the type of screw.
Purchase one-time access:PDF Download and 24 Hours Online Access
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Mini-implant for orthodontic anchorage.J Clin Orthod. 1997; 31: 763-767
- Evaluations of miniscrew type-dependent mechanical stability.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2019; 69: 21-27
- Root proximity is a major factor for screw failure in orthodontic anchorage.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 131: S68-S73
- Orthodontic miniscrew failure rate and root proximity, insertion angle, bone contact length, and bone density.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2013; 16: 44-55
- Histomorphometric evaluation of cortical bone thickness surrounding miniscrew for orthodontic anchorage.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2011; 13: 197-205
- Does cortical thickness influence the primary stability of miniscrews?: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Angle Orthod. 2014; 84: 1093-1103
- Miniscrew stability evaluated with computerized tomography scanning.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010; 137: 73-79
- Mechanical and clinical evaluation of the effect of microscrew on root proximity and cortical bone thickness.Eur J Orthod. 2020; 42: 206-210
- Critical factors for the success of orthodontic mini-implants: a systematic review.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2009; 135: 284-291
- A comparitive clinical study between self tapping and drill free screws as a source of rigid orthodontic anchorage.J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2012; 11: 29-33
- Biomechanical and histological comparison of self-drilling and self-tapping orthodontic microimplants in dogs.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008; 133: 44-50
- Primary stability and histomorphometric bone-implant contact of self-drilling and self-tapping orthodontic microimplants.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2012; 141: 187-195
- Biomechanical properties of orthodontic miniscrews. An in-vitro study.J Orofac Orthop. 2010; 71: 53-67
- Comparative study of the primary stability of self-drilling and self-tapping orthodontic miniscrews.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014; 145: 480-485
- Recommended placement torque when tightening an orthodontic mini-implant.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2006; 17: 109-114
- Clinical use of miniscrew implants as orthodontic anchorage: success rates and postoperative discomfort.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 131: 9-15
- Failure rates and associated risk factors of orthodontic miniscrew implants: a meta-analysis.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2012; 142: 577-595.e7
- Comparison of the success rate between self-drilling and self-tapping miniscrews: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Orthod. 2017; 39: 287-293
- Histomorphometric and mechanical analyses of the drill-free screw as orthodontic anchorage.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2005; 128: 190-194
- Biomechanical and histomorphometric analyses of the osseointegration of microscrews with different surgical techniques in beagle dogs.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008; 106: 644-650
- Comparative evaluation of insertion torque and mechanical stability for self-tapping and self-drilling orthodontic miniscrews - an in vitro study.Head Face Med. 2017; 13: 10
- Placement and removal torque values of orthodontic miniscrew implants.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011; 139: 669-678
- Root contact during insertion of miniscrews for orthodontic anchorage increases the failure rate: an animal study.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008; 19: 99-106
- Associations of resonance frequency analysis with dynamic mechanical analysis of dental implant systems.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2016; 18: 332-341
- Influence of post dimension on stress distribution in dentin.J Prosthet Dent. 1996; 75: 140-147
- Evaluation of optimal length and insertion torque for miniscrews.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013; 144: 251-259
- Insertion torque and Periotest values are important factors predicting outcome after orthodontic miniscrew placement.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017; 152: 483-488
- Effect of cortical bone thickness and implant placement torque on stability of orthodontic mini-implants.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2007; 22: 779-784
- Quantitative evaluation of cortical bone thickness with computed tomographic scanning for orthodontic implants.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006; 129: 721.e7-721.e12
- A comparison of the mechanical measures used for assessing orthodontic mini-implant stability.Implant Dent. 2017; 26: 225-231
- Are assessments of damping capacity and placement torque useful in estimating root proximity of orthodontic anchor screws?.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2016; 150: 124-129
- Effects of the diameter and shape of orthodontic mini-implants on microdamage to the cortical bone.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010; 138 (discussion 8-9): 8.e1-8.e8
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest, and none were reported.
Approval to conduct this study was obtained from The Ohio State University Institutional Review Board (2015H0285). This study was funded by the American Association of Orthodontists Foundation and The Ohio State University Clinical Scholar Research Pilot Program, United States.