- •Canine retraction difference between control and micro-osteoperforation (MOP) was significant.
- •The 4-week group showed a significant difference in bone volume fraction compared with control.
- •Canine retraction and BV/TV ratio at the MOP side were negatively correlated in the 4-week group.
- •The rate of orthodontic tooth movement can be accelerated by using the MOP technique.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Cellular, molecular, and tissue-level reactions to orthodontic force.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006; 129: 469.e1-469.e32
- Mechanobiology of tooth movement.Eur J Orthod. 2008; 30: 299-306
- Cellular and molecular changes in orthodontic tooth movement.ScientificWorldJournal. 2011; 11: 1788-1803
- The influence of orthodontic movement on periodontal tissues level.Semin Orthod. 2007; 13: 234-245
- The regional accelerated phenomenon.Orthop Clin N Am. 1981; 12: 725-726
- Influence of inflammation-mediated osteopenia on the regional acceleratory phenomenon and the systemic acceleratory phenomenon during healing of a bone defect in the rat.Calcif Tissue Int. 1998; 63: 160-166
- Rapid orthodontic decrowding with alveolar augmentation: case report.World J Orthod. 2003; 4: 197-205
- Bone density changes around teeth during orthodontic treatment.Clin Oral Investig. 2011; 15: 511-519
- Does orthodontic treatment affect the alveolar bone density?.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e3080
- Rapid orthodontics with alveolar reshaping: two case reports of decrowding.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2001; 21: 9-19
- Rapid orthodontic tooth movement aided by alveolar surgery in beagles.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 131: 160.e1-160.e10
- Acceleration of orthodontic tooth movement by alveolar corticotomy in the dog.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 131: 448.e1-448.e8
- Modeling of trabecular bone and lamina dura following selective alveolar decortication in rats.J Periodontol. 2008; 79: 1679-1688
- Tisssue responses in corticotomy- and osteotomy-assisted tooth movements in rats: histology and immunostaining.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2009; 136 (discussion 770-771): 770.e1-770.e11
- Accelerated osteogenic orthodontics technique: a 1-stage surgically facilitated rapid orthodontic technique with alveolar augmentation.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009; 67: 2149-2159
- Effect of micro-osteoperforations on the rate of tooth movement.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013; 144: 639-648
- Comparison of the effects of micro-osteoperforation and corticision on the rate of orthodontic tooth movement in rats.Angle Orthod. 2016; 86: 558-564
- Cytokine expression and accelerated tooth movement.J Dent Res. 2010; 89: 1135-1141
- Mini-implant supported canine retraction with micro-osteoperforation: a split-mouth randomized clinical trial.Angle Orthod. 2019; 89: 183-189
- Micro-osteoperforations accelerate orthodontic tooth movement by stimulating periodontal ligament cell cycles.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018; 154: 788-796
- Three-dimensional assessment of the effect of micro-osteoperforations on the rate of tooth movement during canine retraction in adults with Class II malocclusion: a randomized controlled clinical trial.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018; 153: 771-785
- The bone quality framework: determinants of bone strength and their interrelationships, and implications for osteoporosis management.Clin Ther. 2005; 27: 1-11
- Advanced imaging of the macrostructure and microstructure of bone.Horm Res. 2000; 54: 24-30
- Assessment of trabecular bone structure using MDCT: comparison of 64- and 320-slice CT using HR-pQCT as the reference standard.Eur Radiol. 2010; 20: 458-468
- Diagnostic imaging of trabecular bone microstructure for oral implants: a literature review.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2013; 42: 20120075
- Ability of mini-implant-facilitated micro-osteoperforations to accelerate tooth movement in rats.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2016; 150: 958-967
- Accuracy of trabecular bone microstructural measurement at planned dental implant sites using cone-beam CT datasets.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2014; 25: 941-945
- The reliability of cone-beam computed tomography to assess bone density at dental implant recipient sites: a histomorphometric analysis by micro-CT.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2013; 24: 871-879
- A comparative evaluation of cone beam CT and micro-CT on trabecular bone structures in the human mandible.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2013; 42: 20130145
- Accuracy and reliability of different cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) devices for structural analysis of alveolar bone in comparison with multislice CT and micro-CT.Eur J Oral Implantol. 2017; 10: 95-105
- Slow and fast orthodontic tooth movement: an experimental study on humans.Eur J Orthod. 2016; 38: 404-408
- Density of the alveolar and basal bones of the maxilla and the mandible.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008; 133: 30-37
- Bone quality evaluation at dental implant site using multislice CT, micro-CT, and cone beam CT.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015; 26: e1-e7
- Contrast-to-noise ratio difference in small field of view cone beam computed tomography machines.J Oral Sci. 2012; 54: 227-232
All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest, and none were reported.
This research was supported by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia through the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (grant no. FP018-2017A ).