- •Limited options have been available for older deep bite patients with retrusive chin.
- •Whole-arch intrusion with the use of mini-implants can improve the facial profile.
- •Treatment should be carefully planned to avoid premature incisor contact.
- •If the upper occlusal plane is normal or flat, minimize intrusion to avoid a flat smile arc.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Use of mini-implants to avoid maxillary surgery for Class III mandibular prognathic patient: a long-term post-retention case.Korean J Orthod. 2014; 44: 342-349
- Analysis of midpalatal miniscrew-assisted maxillary molar distalization patterns with simultaneous use of fixed appliances: a preliminary study.Korean J Orthod. 2016; 46: 55-61
- Management of open bite that developed during treatment for internal derangement and osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint.Korean J Orthod. 2015; 45: 136-145
- Biomechanical considerations in treatment with miniscrew anchorage. Part 1: the sagittal plane.J Clin Orthod. 2008; 42: 79-83
- Treatment of severe anterior open bite with skeletal anchorage in adults: comparison with orthognathic surgery outcomes.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 132: 599-605
- The use of skeletal anchorage in open bite treatment: a cephalometric evaluation.Angle Orthod. 2004; 74: 381-390
- A comparison of second premolar extraction and mini-implant total arch distalization with interproximal stripping.Angle Orthod. 2013; 83: 680-685
- Closing anterior open bites by intruding molars with titanium miniplate anchorage.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2002; 122: 593-600
- Masticatory muscle exercise as an adjunctive treatment for open bite malocclusions.Semin Orthod. 2005; 11: 164-169
- Orthodontic treatment and masticatory muscle exercises to correct a Class I open bite in an adult patient.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003; 124: 91-98
- An evaluation of self-esteem and quality of life in orthodontic patients: effects of crowding and protrusion.Angle Orthod. 2015; 85: 812-819
- Long-term skeletal and dental effects and treatment timing for functional appliances in Class II malocclusion.Angle Orthod. 2013; 83: 334-340
- Orthodontic treatment for prominent upper front teeth in children.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; : CD003452
- Treatment of anterior open bite and multiple missing teeth with lingual fixed appliances, double jaw surgery, and dental implants.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013; 143: S125-S136
- A case of severe mandibular retrognathism with bilateral condylar deformities treated with Le Fort I osteotomy and two advancement genioplasty procedures.Korean J Orthod. 2016; 46: 395-408
- Mandibular, sagittal split osteotomies fixed with biodegradable or titanium screws: a prospective, comparative study of postoperative stability.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002; 93: 534-537
- Mandibular advancement surgery in high-angle and low-angle Class II patients: different long-term skeletal responses.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001; 119: 368-381
- Outcomes and stability in patients with anterior open bite and long anterior face height treated with temporary anchorage devices and a maxillary intrusion splint.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014; 146: 594-602
- Biomechanical considerations in the correction of anterior open bite with maxillary skeletal plates.J Clin Orthod. 2015; 49: 35-45
- Total intrusion and distalization of the maxillary arch to improve smile esthetics.Korean J Orthod. 2017; 47: 59-73
- Correction of Class II deep overbite and dental and skeletal asymmetry with 2 types of palatal miniscrews.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007; 131: S106-S116
- Comparison of anterior and posterior mini-implant-assisted maxillary incisor intrusion: root resorption and treatment efficiency.Angle Orthod. 2016; 86: 746-752
- The eight components of a balanced smile.J Clin Orthod. 2005; 39 (quiz 4): 155-167
- Finite-element analysis of the center of resistance of the mandibular dentition.Korean J Orthod. 2017; 47: 21-30
- Treatment and posttreatment changes following intrusion of maxillary posterior teeth with miniscrew implants for open bite correction.Korean J Orthod. 2008; 38: 31-40
- Treatment and posttreatment dentoalveolar changes following intrusion of mandibular molars with application of a skeletal anchorage system (SAS) for open bite correction.Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg. 2002; 17: 243-253
- Long-term stability of anterior open-bite treatment by intrusion of maxillary posterior teeth.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010; 138 ([discussion 396-8]): 396.e1-396.e9
- Comparison of orthodontic treatment outcomes in adults with skeletal open bite between conventional edgewise treatment and implant-anchored orthodontics.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011; 139: S60-S68
- Evaluation of long-term stability of skeletal anterior open bite correction in adults treated with maxillary posterior segment intrusion using zygomatic miniplates.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2016; 150: 78-88
- Determinants for success rates of temporary anchorage devices in orthodontics: a meta-analysis (n > 50).Eur J Orthod. 2014; 36: 303-313
- The use of temporary anchorage devices for molar intrusion.J Am Dent Assoc. 2007; 138: 56-64
The author has completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest, and none were reported.